Monica Sawhney || Indian Cardamom Butter Cookies
It's mighty cold outside, and as your hands hug a hot cup of tea, you need to embrace these Indian cardamom cookies too. Sweet and buttery and flavoured with crushed cardamom, Nan Kithai are deliciously comforting and a perfect accompaniment at tea time or as a post-dinner sweet treat. Makes approx 30
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup semolina
- 1/2 cup gram flour
- Pinch baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Sliced almonds to garnish
- Put the sugar, butter and oil in a bowl and cream together
- In a separate bowl, add semolina, gram flour, plain flour, baking soda and cardamom powder together and mix well. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture.
- Bind together until a soft dough is formed. Divide into 30 portions and shape them into balls. Put a little indentation into the middle of each portion, add a slice of almond to each and place on lined baking tray.
- Bake in oven at 150C for 5 minutes. Turn the baking tray around and cook for another 5 minutes. They should be a very slight golden colour. Remove tray from oven and allow to cool before touching them - they're very crumbly when hot.
- You're done! Enjoy!