Water & Sanitation Through Poetry & Practical Engineering!
Get your school involved in FRANK Water's New Cross-Curricular Project
Developed in partnership with the UK’s green poet Martin Kiszko, qualified teachers, and Arup engineering firm, this exciting new project explores water, sanitation and environmental issues in the developing world, all set in your school’s curriculum.
The backdrop is Martin’s epic poem, King Frank and the Knights of the Eco-Quest. The project includes workshops, lesson plans, class presentations, resources and activities across several subjects, including: Literacy & Poetry, PSHE, Design & Technology and STEM.
Each workshop/activity is designed for up to 30 children at any one time, and is aimed at school years 5-7. We recommend you allow a full term to complete the project, although this is flexible.
Part 1: One school day
An introduction to the story of FRANK Water by a member of FRANK Water staff with some interactive challenges!
Subjects: Literacy & Geography
Martin Kiszko introduces King FRANK and the Knights of the Eco Quest, the characters, the plot & explains “what is an epic poem?”
Subjects: Global Citizenship, PSHE
In pairs, children write their own poems with guidance from Martin and teachers
Part 2 : half a school term (flexible)
- Read the full epic poem as a class/as homework
- Deliver FRANK Water Lesson Plans 1- 4
Subjects: Literacy, PSHE
Part 3: One school day
- Workshop: Water for the World of King FRANK. Hands-on interactive workshop, inviting children to solve water and sanitation issues for different countries with different levels of resources. Builds an understanding of ‘appropriate technology’, and how sustainable solutions depend on the wider physical, social and economic conditions
Subjects: Global Citizenship, STEM
- Workshop: Moving water. Hands-on interactive workshop, allowing children to explore the difficulties associated with moving water from safe sources to where it is needed
Subjects: STEM, D&Q
- Workshop: Building bridges, crossing rivers. Fun hands-on interactive workshop, allowing children to explore the best way of building a bridge from very basic materials – with a significant competitive element!
Subjects: STEM, D&T
Other things you can do!
Exhibition. Showcase your feats of engineering to parents and governors!
End of term play. Perform a whole-school production of King FRANK & the Knights of the Eco-Quest! It’s written as a stage play with teachers’ notes so easy to do!
Fundraising. Support Bristol’s water charity, reuse your plastic water bottles as money boxes and slot in your loose change.
- Build a landfillersaurus! Made out of rubbish, the knights must slay this monster to get to the safe water source. How will your school interpret the beast and what will they build?
For further information or to sign up to be part of the Project (and King Frank and the Knights of the Eco-quest) get in touch!
T: 0117 329 4846 E: firstname.lastname@example.org