King FRANK & the Knights of the Eco-Quest || The Details
What will the project achieve?
- Introduce the idea of epic poetry to children in years 5-7
- Show children (within the context of the narrative) how to write particular verse forms: Ballad, Clerihew, Tongue-twister, Ballad, Double Dactyl, Kenning.
- Contain and fulfil aspects of the curriculum including English (new vocabulary and wordplay), poetry, environmental science, history, art, maths and drama!
- Introduce environmental issues that are relevant to children today.
- Introduce the work of local charity FRANK Water and challenge them to raise funds for the essential work.
- Enable children to enjoy poetry and performance either through reading, rehearsed reading or a fully-fledged performance.
- To allow children to team build, problem solve and take social responsibility in mounting the production of the poem/play.
How does the project work?
- Martin provides a fun and engaging poetry workshop for children in years 5-7 and FRANK Water staff provide an assembly-style introduction to the work of FRANK Water to kick-start the project.
- Teachers have access to special online resources that support lesson planning to maximise the learning from the themes covered in the epic poem, providing cross curricular ideas and interventions.
- Throughout the project Martin will take contributions from both schools and use them to develop further elements of the epic poem.
- Final published poem will be delivered in stage play format and schools able to put on a performance.
What's in it for me and my school?
By signing up to take part, your school will receive downloadable lesson plans for:
- Poetry, Literature, Maths, Environmental science, International Development, Sanitation/Health, Drama and performance, Art, drawing and crafts
- One assembly-style introduction from a member of FRANK Water staff
- Access to the finished epic poem in stage play format with teachers' notes
- Fun, interactive fundraising ideas to help you reach your target.
- The opportunity to collaborate with other Bristol schools
- Your own login to the poetry pages on FRANK Water site where you can find information and resources and share poems, videos and photos
- OPTION A: two x 1.5hr workshops for up to 90 children at a time (NB Support from teaching staff will be required for larger groups!) OR 1 x 1.5hr workshop for up to 90 children AND a whole-school performance from Martin Kiszko - £300
- OPTION B: three x 1.5hr workshops (for up to 90 children at a time, with staff support) AND one full performance for the whole school - £450
- Fundraise for FRANK! Every school that takes part will be challenged to fundraise £250 for FRANK Water's work. Our fundraising team will be on hand with ideas and suggestions to help you reach your target!